The Richland Creek watershed was a hunting ground for several Native American Tribes a thousand years before settlement by American pioneers. In October 1770, General James Robertson led ten pioneer families from North Carolina over the East Tennessee Mountains into the Watauga River valley to settle the area which would become the first settlement of Tennessee in 1796. The Father of Tennessee also became the Father of Nashville.
Robertson built the first log cabin (1779), and later the first brick house in Nashville (1787) situated near the stream he named Richland Creek, for its fertile soil, rich hunting and valuable waters (rich-land). Coined the “western edge of civilization” in 1796, Richland Creek also became a battle line between the north and south in 1864. The first road west from Nashville, originally the buffalo trail, Charlotte Road was named for the General’s wife. Richland Creek holds a historical significance for the city, state and nation.
Markers for Roberston’s driveway and Charlotte’s road were erected by Daughters of the American Revolution; and Civil War action at Richland Creek by the Nashville Historical Commission. All historical markers are located on Charlotte Avenue.