Litter is ugly and attracts more litterbugs! Simple actions add up! Once a week, take a short walk in your neighborhood, park, urban center, or creek to grab the litter and recycle what you can. Share your photo with a couple of details to us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we’ll repost it to encourage others to do the same good deed! Or, you can post it on social media, with the hashtag #grabthelitter, and we’ll find and repost it. Don’t forget, everything on the ground ends up in the waterway.
Did you know…
- Microplastics in our oceans outnumber the 4 billion stars in the Milky Way?
- About half the debris found on beaches is single-use plastics?
- More than 100,000 marine animals die from plastic trash consumption every year? And this doesn’t include seabirds.
- You can grab the litter when you walk your dog, on the greenway, or on your street! A good time to pick up on the street is right after trash pick-up day.
- Put a bag in your back pocket and be sure to wash your hands when you’re done.
- As you walk in one direction, notice the trash and grab it on your way back, so you don’t have to carry it back and forth.
- Don’t forget the hashtag #grabthelitter
Recycle what you can! Know the curbside recycle items!